Dr. Don Colbert – … [Y]ou’ve got no time to lose in making great keto ice cream. Luckily, it’s easy. You can make delicious low-carb ice-cream, in a variety of flavors, before the month (and summer) run out.
Here are our 4 favorite ways to make keto ice cream. They are creamy, delicious, and will keep you in the Keto Zone.
Keto Ice Cream – 4 Ways
1. Keto Zone Shake Mason Jar Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream (low-carb, such as Organic Valley) OR full fat organic canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons granular erythritol
- 1 tablespoon Rich Chocolate Keto Zone Shake
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon Dutch Chocolate MCT Oil Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients in a wide mouth, pint-sized (16 oz.) mason jar. Tighten lid and shake vigorously for 5-7 minutes. Shake until your liquid doubles in volume, filling the jar. Place in the freezer and free for 3-24 hours. Scoop out and enjoy! Serves 4.
Nutrition info: 159 calories, 16 grams fat, 1 gram net carbs (3 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber), 1 gram protei
2. Keto Zone MCT Oil Powder Double Chocolate Ice Cream
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups heavy cream (divided 2 cups and 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup powdered erythritol
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon Dutch Chocolate MCT Oil Powder
- 1/2 cup high-cacao (80% or more) chips or bar chopped into chunks
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add 2 cups heavy cream and erythritol. Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Stirring occasionally, simmer for ~35, until the mixture thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon, and the volume should be reduced by 50%.
- Pour mixture into a large 9×13 baking dish. Whisk in vanilla and Dutch Chocolate MCT Oil Powder.
- Then, beat the remaining 1 cup cream using a hand mixer with a whisk on high for several minutes (2-3), until stiff peaks form. Warning: Don’t overmix, stop once stiff peaks begin to form.
- Fold the stiff-peak cream into mixture in dish, just 1/2 cup at a time. Do this carefully in order to not deflate the cream. Smooth the top of the mixture with a spatula.
- Add cacao nibs or high-cacao chips/chunks.
- Place parchment or wax paper over the top in to decrease ice-crystal formation.
- If you have an ice-cream maker, you can use it at this point instead of adding parchment paper and freezing.
- Freeze mixture in the dish for 5-6 hours, or until firm, stirring every 30 minutes for initial 2 hours and then every 60-90 minutes thereafter.
- To serve, allow to soften on a countertop for 10-30 minutes. Serve and enjoy! Yield 8, 1/2 cup servings.
Nutrition info: 375 calories, 39 grams fat, 4 grams net carbs, 2 grams protein (94% fat)
3. Matcha Green Tea Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cans organic full-fat coconut milk (look for brands without preservatives such as carrageenan and xanthan gum)
- 2 tbsp organic matcha green tea powder
- 2 tbsp low-carb sweetener (monk fruit, erythritol, xylitol, stevia)
- 1 scoop Fermented Green Supremefood (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in blender; blend until well combined. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker. Follow the ice cream maker’s specific instructions and churn until ice cream is desired consistency. Enjoy! Serves 4.
Nutrition info (per 1/4 recipe): 366 calories, 36 grams fat, 6 gram net carbs (7 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber), 1 gram protein
4. Keto Zone Avocado Ice Cream
- 2 ripe organic avocados, diced and frozen
- 1 14 oz can organic coconut cream, frozen in an ice tray
- 4 tablespoons keto-approved sweetener such as Erythritol, stevia, or blends
- 2 teaspoons organic lime juice
- 1 scoop MCT powder
- In a high powered blender or food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Pulse until well combined. You may need to use a spatula to scrape the sides of the blender to ensure an even consistency. If ice cream is too thick, add a small amount of water or avocado oil until the desired consistency is reached. Use an ice cream scoop to serve in two separate bowls. Enjoy! Serves 4.
Nutrition Info (per 1/4 recipe): 300 calories, 31 grams fat, 3.5 grams net carbs (7 grams carbs, 3.5 grams fiber), 7 grams protein
Why Make Your Own Keto Ice Cream This Summer?
When it comes to making your own Keto treats like keto ice cream, it’s all about what you avoid in commercial ice cream, and what you get with nutritious keto ingredients.
First, what you miss.
When you take the commercial regular ice cream out of your diet, you will omit a bunch of unhealthy refined carbohydrates, sugars, and processed fats.
What You Miss By Omitting Store-Bought Ice Cream
For example, every scoop of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Ice Cream contains:
cream, liquid sugar (sugar, water), skim milk, water, cocoa (processed with alkali), wheat flour, sugar, soybean oil, brown sugar, egg yolks, chocolate liquor, cocoa, honey, guar gum, cocoa butter, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, natural flavors, soy lecithin, carrageenan
The ingredients that stand out are 3 types of sugar, and soybean oil.
In fact, sugars in liquid form are the quickest sugars through the digestive tract and have the most potential for destruction.
Next, soybean oil is one of the most detrimental ingredients found in our commercial food supply. It can cause declines in:
- Metabolic Health: Lab studies show soybean oil is one of the most detrimental foods to metabolic health (2).
- Cardiovascular Health: Soybean oil has been shown to cause harmful abnormalities in cholesterol and triglycerides (3).
- Overall Health and Inflammation: Many studies have concluded that concentrated sources of omega-6 fats increase inflammation in the body (4).
What You Gain By Making Healthy Keto Ice Cream
Our keto ice cream recipes provide a ton of flavor, nutrients, and keto-friendly ingredients. In fact, you get:
- A treat that will keep you in the Keto Zone. At just 1-7 grams of net carbohydrates, you can have your ice cream and stay in ketosis.
- Healthy fats such as MCT Oils. MCT oils support heart health (5, 6), reduced C-reactive protein (a marker for inflammation) (7), brain health (8), and healthy energy levels.
- Real-food ingredients like avocados, cacao, and more. Avocados provide fiber, monounsaturated fat, and antioxidants. Cacao is a potent antioxidant ingredient!
- Much more!
What About Commercial Keto Ice Cream?
There are good commercial keto ice cream brands available in some stores. The main drawback to these specialty keto foods is the price. If looking for one, first check the ingredients to make sure they are healthy foods. Then, double-check the net carbs by looking at the nutrition label to make sure they fit into your Keto Zone plan.
National Ice Cream month is coming to a close, and we’ve got 4 delicious keto ice cream recipes for you to try. We’d love to hear which option you like best!