Dr. Don Colbert – Are there any better wintertime comfort foods out there than chili? It’s up for debate. But, a delicious, slow-cooked, aroma-filling, hearty chili is a wonderful meal this time of year. If you’ve given up on chili while going low-carb, we’ve got a great recipe for you. Our healthy keto chili keeps the carbohydrates down and the nutrients up.
Delicious Healthy Keto Chili
- 2 1/2 pounds organic or local Ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15-ounce can organic diced tomatoes, look for BPA-free can (with liquid)
- 1 6-ounce can organic tomato paste
- 1 4-oz can organic green chiles (with liquid)
- 1 cup diced green pepper (or yellow or red)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons dried oregano or 3 tablespoons fresh (diced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium bay leaf (optional)
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, fresh chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, jalapeno slices
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, just until fragrant. Add the ground beef to brown, cooking about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a slow cooker and add remaining ingredients except for bay leaf. Stir until completely combined. Place bay leaf in the middle on the top mixture.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. If you used a bay leaf, remove it before serving.
Electric Pressure Cooker:
- Follow the same instructions in steps 1 and 2 above, using a skillet or saute function or pressure cooker. Transfer as needed to pressure cooker.
- Add an extra 1/2 cup of water or broth to the mixture. Place the bay leaf into the middle, if using.
- Close the lid. Cook on the “Meat/Stew” setting for 35 minutes. Once finished allow it to natural release. Total cooking time with pressure will be about 55-60 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving and enjoy. Serves 10.
What’s in it for You?
Beyond the “nutrition information,” the grams of this or that, it’s important to eat foods that offer more. That offer nutritious compounds that fortify your body, support cellular health, and whole-body health, and don’t bog it down with toxins.
This chili recipe contains many.
Its vegetables including cauliflower offer digestive-supporting fiber, phytochemicals, and antioxidants. Cauliflower also contains sulfur for cellular detoxification.
[Chili powder] contains a powerful compound called capsaicin. This compound sets chilis apart and supports a fiery metabolism (1), brown fat energy expenditure, free radical neutralization, and more.
In addition, we’ve included a whopping 3 tablespoons of cumin.
Cumin is a delicious and nutritious spice. It may even boost memory. Here are 10 reasons to eat more cumin.
10 Science-Backed Benefits of Cumin
1. SUPPORTS HEALTHY DIGESTION
Cumin has long been a traditional treatment for digestion issues, such as loose stools and bloating. Its extract has been studied specifically in animal studies and humans. Researchers have found that cumin promotes normalized and healthy digestion in those suffering from cramps, digestive spasms, nausea, and bloating (2).
2. FIGHTS FREE RADICALS
Cumin seeds are a potent source of antioxidants, specifically apigenin and luteolin. These antioxidants fight free radicals to support cellular and whole-body health.
3. PROMOTES HEALTHY BLOOD SUGAR
Cumin has also been researched for its effect on high blood sugars. Scientists have found that it is a hypoglycemic agent that promotes healthy blood sugars in human and animal trials (3).
4. HAS ANTIBACTERIAL, ANTI-PARASITE PROPERTIES
Cumin oil can also promote health when an effective larvicide or antiseptic agent is needed. In fact, it’s been successfully used against bacteria that are resistant to other antiseptics. It wholly supports immune health (4).
5. SUPPORTS ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ACTION IN THE BODY
Your body reacts to foods and lifestyle with the production of inflammatory or anti-inflammatory hormones. Cyminum, the active ingredient in cumin seeds, promotes anti-inflammatory action in the body. Interestingly, cumin oil alone does not have as strong an effect. Cumin seeds (or the powder from ground up seeds) elicits the most potent anti-inflammatory action (5).
Cumin promotes healthy cholesterol levels, specifically in those with a history of high ones. In one study, cumin was added to yogurt and was found to support healthy total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglyceride levels in obese or overweight participants (6).
7. PROMOTES HEALTHY WEIGHT
Since cumin supports healthy blood sugars, it’s not surprising that it also supports healthy weights. When blood sugars are normalized, and cells are healthy in their response to glucose and insulin, the body can more effectively lose fat.
Several studies have been conducted on cumin and weight. In one, overweight women saw healthy weight outcomes when they supplemented their diets with cumin (7). Another study found that cumin produced similar results to a diet pill in both men and women participants (8).
8. STRESS REDUCER
Cumin’s antioxidants may also help reduce stress.
In animal studies, researchers have found that cumin extract reduces the stress response when taken before a stressful activity (9).
9. MEMORY BOOSTER
In addition to attenuating the stress response, cumin may also work to boost memory. The same study that evaluated stress activity also found a dose-dependent memory enhancement from cumin (9). Further studies are being conducted to consider how it may help those with memory in humans.
10. NON-TOXIC HEALTHY FLAVOR ENHANCER
A bit of cumin, extra-virgin olive oil, black pepper, and lemon juice can go a long way to flavor almost anything! When you compare it to commercial flavorings that use monosodium glutamate, artificial flavors, and unhealthy oils, it’s clear that cumin is a delicious, flavorful spice that can help you avoid toxins!
How Have Healthy Keto Zone Recipes Helped You?
How have Keto Zone recipes and lifestyle changed your life and health in the past weeks, months, or years?
We want to know! Send us your own testimonial regarding Keto Zone, Dr. Colbert’s Keto Zone books, and/or Keto Zone recipes. Simply text your unbiased testimonial with pictures or video to (407)512-9807 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each testimonial that includes a picture or video will be entered in a drawing to win Dr. Colbert’s new book, Dr. Colbert’s Healthy Gut Zone.
To make sure you are entered, send in your testimonial as directed above. Then, add a comment below and let us know you sent it in! Make sure to indicate if you sent a picture or video. A winner will be randomly chosen at the end of January 2021.
You’ve probably already got cumin and most of the ingredients for this wonderful healthy keto chili in your pantry. You don’t have to miss out on your favorites to stay in the Keto Zone. You can have them, with more nutrition and less inflammation.
Make our healthy keto chili this week and let us know what you think.