Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DNM, CN – Nutrition-rich zucchini is one of my favorite underrated veggies. Its mild flavor means you can add it to a variety dishes for a boost in antioxidants and vitamins without altering the taste too much. That’s what makes it the perfect ingredient for this chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe.
This gluten-free treat is super simple to make and lacks any refined sugar. It’s sweet enough to enjoy as dessert, but you can easily enjoy a slice for breakfast, too.
There are many zucchini bread recipes out there, and this zucchini chocolate chip bread just may be the best zucchini bread I’ve had. That’s because it’s easy to make, healthy and delicious!
What’s in this recipe for zucchini bread? Here are some of the main players:
- Zucchini: You can’t make chocolate chip zucchini bread without zucchini, of course, and that’s a good thing. Thanks to its antioxidant content, zucchini can protect the heart, gut, eyes and more.
- Cassava and oat flour: This gluten-free flour combo make this recipe safe for those with a gluten intolerance or Celiac disease … and provides extra vitamins and minerals to boot!
- Dark chocolate chips: Chocolate may not come to mind when you think health food, but dark chocolate is high in antioxidants that help boost immunity, brain health and more.
- Eggs: This common baking ingredient supplies a healthy does of protein and collagen, two of the most important things for health.
- Coconut sugar: A healthier sugar alternative, coconut sugar provides added sweetness with way less of the harmful side effects as common sugar.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Start by preheating the oven to make sure it’s nice and toasty for the chocolate chip zucchini bread. Then mix the gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda.
In another bowl, beat the eggs until they look nice and fluffy. Then add in the coconut oil, vanilla extract, zucchini and chocolate chips.
Now it’s time to mix the wet and dry ingredients.
How do you keep chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of zucchini bread? I like adding the contents of the dry bowl to the wet one and giving it all a good stir to ensure you’ll enjoy chocolate chips and zucchini in each bite.
Once everything’s mixed up, pour this healthy zucchini bread into a greased loaf pan and pop it in the oven. Let it bake for 50 minutes or until it’s cooked through — you should be able to stick a toothpick in it and have it come out clean.
I know this chocolate chip zucchini bread will be a hit at your house. It tastes so great you can consider it another healthy snack for your kids … and they won’t have any idea it’s actually good for them!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe
This chocolate chip zucchini bread is a simple to make, gluten-free and lacks any refined sugar, giving you boost in antioxidants.
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 – 1 cup organic, dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Line a large bowl with cheesecloth, allowing cloth to fall over the sides.
- Grate zucchini into the bowl containing the cloth.
- Wrap zucchini in cloth and squeeze any excess water out into the bowl.
- Add the first five ingredients in large bowl. Whisk until well incorporated and set aside.
- Whisk the last seven ingredients until well combined and then add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing evenly.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar handy, you can use other natural sweeteners like monk fruit.
- To make this vegan, you can use an egg replacement.
To read the original article click here.