Dr. Don Colbert – Love or hate winter weather, one thing’s for sure, it can wreak havoc on your skin.
Can Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder help?
If so, what’s the best way to consume it?
There are a lot of claims out there regarding collagen supplements. Here’s what the science says when it comes to collagen powder and dry, winter skin.
Winter Weather and Your Skin
There are many reasons why winter is hard on your skin. They include:
- Cold air and low humidity. Winter’s cold and dry air can be intensely drying for the skin, vastly reducing the amount of moisture retained.
- Heaters and indoor fires. Heated indoor air is often dry during the winter. Heaters, forced air, fans and indoor fires all reduce the humidity.
- Harsh winds. Winds are often stronger during the winter and spring, and this further dries out skin.
- Coffee and caffeinated teas. When it’s cold outside, many of us drink more warm drinks. If caffeinated, their diuretic effects, while safe, can dry skin from the inside out.
- Hot showers. A hot shower is actually more drying to the skin than a lukewarm one. If your winter routine includes hot showers, it’s important to keep them short.
How can collagen help?
7 Science-Backed Results Showing Collagen Powder Can Improve Dry Winter Skin
1. COLLAGEN POWDER CAN IMPROVE THE ELASTICITY OF SKIN.
A 2014 study of 46 women, ages 35-55, showed that eight weeks of collagen powder supplementation improved skin elasticity within just 4 weeks (1).
When skin’s elasticity is improved it can stretch and rebound better, without sagging. This increases a youthful appearance.
2. IT CAN REDUCE THE APPEARANCE OF WRINKLES.
Another 2014 study concluded that collagen supplementation reduced wrinkles after just 8 weeks of use (2).
What’s more, a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology concluded that collagen supplementation not only improved skin moisture but also produced younger-looking, less-fragmented skin (3).
3. COLLAGEN POWDER CAN INCREASE SKIN COLLAGEN CONTENT AND IMPROVE THE STRUCTURE OF THE SKIN.
In a 2017 lab study, researchers found that 6 months of oral consumption of collagen increased the collagen content in the skin. It also improved the skin structure and improved the density of different types of collagen (type I and type III).
This resulted in improved color and luster of the skin and fur. While this was a study on mice, it is promising for human skin and hair as well (4).
4. IT CAN INCREASE WATER RETENTION IN SKIN.
The same study that showed increased skin elasticity showed a measurable decrease in transepidermal water loss and dryness of skin.
5. COLLAGEN POWDER CAN INCREASE ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY IN THE SKIN.
Our skin is constantly under assault from oxidative stress from our environment (smoke, pollution, UV rays, etc.). By increasing the antioxidant activity in the skin, we increase our chances of fighting these assaults and reducing age-related results (6).
6. COLLAGEN POWDER CAN IMPROVE SKIN WOUND HEALING.
In a 2009 lab study, researchers found that collagen supplementation produced quicker wound closure and better tissue regeneration at the wound site. What’s more, the treated mice also formed thicker and better-organized collagen fibers (7).
7. COLLAGEN CAN IMPROVE DIGESTIVE FUNCTION AND DELIVERY OF NUTRIENTS TO THE SKIN.
We depend on our digestive tract to absorb the nutrients our cells, tissues, and organs need to thrive.
Collagen can help improve digestion, thereby increasing the beneficial nutrients, fats and amino acids that reach the skin.
There’s more. Collagen can improve the strength and healing of other connective tissues including ligaments and tendons, and reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
What Collagen Is Best?
Native vs. Hydrolyzed: The best option for collagen is hydrolyzed collagen powder. While native collagen may have the same amino acids, hydrolyzed is more efficiently absorbed and distributed throughout the body and skin. In the skin, hydrolyzed collagen has been shown to 1) provide building blocks for skin collagen and elastin fibers, and 2) stimulate the creation and growth of new collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid (8).
Pills vs. Powder: Most of the human studies show benefits when participants are taking 5-10 grams collagen per day. While this is an easy amount to get through a powder (just 1 scoop of this powder), it is quite difficult and expensive from pills. Most pills only contain 0.5-0.75 grams each, so you would need 10-20 pills per day to get enough!
No matter the season, hydrolyzed collagen powder is a great, natural, healthful product that can improve your skin in appearance, structure, and integrity. Along with Keto Zone healthy fats and daily hydration, Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder can absolutely improve dry winter skin.