Dr. Don Colbert – If there are any foods that scream Autumn, they are sausage and apples. And if there’s a dinner that screams easy, quick, and healthy, it’s a pan sheet meal.
Pan sheet meals are great because you can prep them in about 5-8 minutes, and then leave them alone for 40 minute. Use this 40 minutes to relax, read, tidy the kitchen so you don’t have to later, or whatever you’d like.
What’s more, this specifically keto pan sheet meal combines delicious Autumn flavors and extra-nutritious whole foods. Sausage. Apples. Onions. Perfect for a brisk autumn evening!
AUTUMN KETO PAN SHEET MEAL: SAUSAGE, APPLES & ONIONS
- 4 all-natural nitrate-free sausage links, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 apple, cored and sliced thin
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F. Line a pan sheet (or cookie sheet) with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Slice sausage, apple onion and garlic. Place sliced sausage, apple, onion, and garlic together on lined pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes. Check on dish, and turn sausage. Bake another 15-20 minutes until sausage is cooked through.
- Serve with mustard and enjoy! Serves 4.
Nutrition info (per serving): 254 calories, 17 grams fat, 9 grams net carbs (12 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber), 15 grams protein
AUTUMN KETO PAN SHEET HEALTH BENEFITS
Of course, it’s wonderful when a dinner is this easy. But, when it’s this easy *and* nutritious, it’s a real winner. So, what’s in it for you, nutritionally?
Apples are an extremely healthful food. However, the portion must be controlled to stay in the Keto Zone, so take care with your amount, and the amount of carbohydrates you consume in other foods.
Apples contain phytochemicals and antioxidants that can fight damage to cells and promote health. They support healthy blood sugars, heart health, and digestive health. In fact, apple fiber, called pectin, has been found to improve gut bacteria, inflammation, metabolism, weight gain, and fat accumulation in studies (1).
Onions pack in a lot of nutrition for very little carbs and calories. In fact, they are loaded with antioxidants, and red ones contain high amounts of potent anthocyanins. They support heart health, bone health (2), healthy blood sugars, and healthy digestion.
Is there a more healthy food than garlic? It’s tough to beat! Garlic boosts antibacterial and antiviral benefits, supports heart health, cellular detox, immune health (3), and more. While you’ll get the most benefits from raw or low-temperature cooked garlic, you’ll still get plenty when it’s baked. So, add whole garlic cloves when you make dinner, and enjoy many health benefits!
WHAT ABOUT SAUSAGE?
Okay, sausage doesn’t win the health-food contest. But, it can still be a good food. After all, if minimally processed, it’s simply meat and spices. Yum. Tips to find healthy sausage are:
- Buy local and organic if possible
- Make sure it’s all-natural and uncooked
- Choose a high-percentage meat sausage. Look for a minimum of 85% meat, with over 90% being ideal.
- Beware of the sodium source. Look for real salt, celery salt, etc. Avoid monosodium glutanate (MSG) or other processed salts
- Avoid sausages which contain any additives or preservatives used to prevent bacteria growth and enhance flavor and color. These are typically cheap and unhealthy. Additives include sugar, yeast extract, natural roast beef flavor and smoke flavor. Common preservatives include sulphur dioxide, sodium and potassium sulphites. Sulphites have been linked to some negative effects in children.
- Avoid empty fillers such as soy, maize, maltodextrin (sugar), hydrolyzed vegetable protein, potato and tapioca starch. These fillers can increase carbs and are used as bulk in place of meat.
- Overall, the less ingredients the better, as long as you know each and are comfortable with them all.
Sausage can be a healthy keto food, just be choosey!
Delicious, nutritious, and easy. What more could you want? Try our Autumn Keto Pan Sheet Dinner tonight and enjoy some downtime with this quick recipe!