Dr. Don Colbert – These bone broth braised beef short ribs are fall-off the bone delicious.
But, in order for this recipe to be both healthy and delicious, you need to use grass-fed beef.
Because cows are designed to eat grass.
When cows are fed soy or corn in feedlots it changes the fatty acid profile of the meat.
Grain-fed cows have more inflammatory omega-6 fats in their meat while grass-fed cows have more anti-inflammatory omega-3 fat like CLA.
What’s more, grain damages the digestive system of cows making them more susceptible to disease. This is one of the reasons why grain-fed cows are pumped full of antibiotics.
Grass-fed beef is loaded with way more vitamins and minerals than grain-fed beef.
In fact, grass-fed beef can have more than twice the amount of vitamin A (beta-carotene) and lutein as grain-fed beef. The beta-carotene content of grass-fed beef can be seen as a yellowish-orange hue in the fat. This is actually the same yellowish orange hue that beta-carotene gives to carrots. Grain-fed beef lacks beta-carotene so the fat appears as a stark white color.
Grass-fed beef is also loaded with protein, B vitamins, vitamin E, selenium, zinc, and phosphorus.
That’s why this braised short rib recipe should be made with grass-fed beef.
If you are going to fuel your body with fat on a ketogenic diet, you want to eat high quality fat that won’t lead to inflammation.
2 1/2 lb grass-fed beef short ribs
4 cup pasture-raised bone broth (chicken, beef, or turkey)
4 tbsp. grass-fed beef tallow or ghee
1 large organic yellow onion, diced
2 cups of organic collard greens, chopped
1 tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar
2 sprigs fresh organic thyme
2 sprigs fresh organic rosemary
Organic black pepper
Sea salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Season ribs generously with salt and pepper.
3. Melt tallow/ghee over high heat in a large Dutch oven.
4. Lightly brown ribs on all sides.
5. Remove the ribs and set aside.
6. Turn heat down to medium.
7. Add chopped collard greens and diced onion to the Dutch oven and cook until onion becomes translucent.
8. Pour 1 cup of broth in to the pot.
9. Allow broth to reach a simmer.
10. Add the remaining broth, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
11. Add the ribs back to the Dutch oven.
12. Add the thyme and rosemary sprigs to the liquid.
13. Cover Dutch oven with lid and place in oven
14. Cook for 2 hours.
15. Reduce heat to 325 F and cook for another 30 minutes.
16. Remove from oven and allow pan to sit covered on the stove to cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
How did your short ribs turn out? Let us know in the comments below!
For more keto recipes and expert guidance on navigating a modified ketogenic diet for weight loss, sign up for Dr. Colbert’s Slender System program for FREE at www.myslendersystem.com
Recipe adapted from farmsteadchic.com